3 Basic Blender Tricks Everyone Should Know
Why buy whipped cream, mayonnaise, and smoothies, when you can make your own from scratch in a snap? Here’s three simple ways to use your blender:
Make Whipped Cream
- Pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream into the blender.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- Cover and blend on high until the cream holds at medium peak.
- Add a dollop to your favorite desserts.
- Test the texture of whipped cream by removing a spoonful from the blender. It should loosely hold its shape, but still be airy and soft. Over-blending can make the cream hard like butter.
- Use 1/3 of vanilla bean scrapings instead of vanilla extract for stronger flavors.
- Add 1 large egg, 4 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of mustard, and a sprinkle of salt and white pepper into the blender.
- Cover and blend on high.
- Blend until creamy while adding 1 cup of vegetable oil in a slow, steady stream through the top hatch. If the mixture begins to separate, pour the oil slower.
- If your blender has a two-part lid or hatch, the center will come out with a twist or pull. Remove the center to add the oil while blending. If you don’t have a two-part lid, you can carefully lift one corner of the lid to pour in the oil.
- Mayonnaise lasts up to one week in the fridge in a covered container. Always use caution when eating or serving foods that contain raw egg.
Make a Green Smoothie
- Cut 1 banana into several pieces and place into the blender.
- Add 1 handful of washed spinach, 1 cup of milk, and 1 cup of ice.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- You can substitute equal amounts of any fruit or leafy green.
- Same with milk. You can swap it with different kinds of dairy or nondairy “milk” like skim, chocolate, soy, or almond.
- Add a spoonful of protein powder, nut butters, or chia seeds for variety.